We organize an annual UC Davis Secondary School Programming Competition (SSPC). The SSPC provides students in secondary schools with the opportunity to apply their fundamental computer programming skills for applications in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Students will use structured programming in C, including basic programming concepts such as variables, math expressions and operators, selection statements, loops, flowchart for algorithm development, functions, arrays, and data files for computer-aided problem solving.
- One computer installed with the C/C++ interpreter Ch (including on-line references for standard C functions) will be provided for each team. Use of other electronics during the competition, including other computers, calculators, cell phones, and other computing devices is not allowed.
- Each student may bring a set of notes or book. Any other sources or references will not be allowed. There will be no internet access during the competition. If a team is caught using the internet during the competition, the team will be disqualified
- Once the competition has begun, the teams may speak to the Judges for clarification on problems, but should not talk to anyone else outside of their team.
- Contestants will be given three hours to solve as many problems as possible from a handout that will be given the day of the competition.
- Problems can be completed in any order. Points will only be awarded for fully completed problems. The program file should be named as follows:
- Example: RiverCityHighSchool_Team1_problem_2.c
- UC Davis K-14 Outreach Center for Computing and STEM Education (C-STEM)
- UC Davis Integration Engineering Laboratory
- UC Davis Student Robotics Club
K-12 STEM Teacher Advisors
- Dubarrie Fagout, River City High School, West Sacramento
- Jennifer K. Sommer, O. W. Holmes Junior High School, Davis
- Krista Purdom, Einstein Education Center High School, Woodland
- Paul Fawcett, Winters High School, Winters
- Francesca DeFazio, Westmore Oaks Elementary School, West Sacramento
- David Bayne, Pioneer High School, Woodland
- Trecia Ogino, Elkhorn Village School, West Sacramento
- Jerry Huang, Sacramento New Technology High School, Sacramento
- Ryan Carr, Davis Senior High School, Davis
If your school is not in the above list, please find a STEM teacher in your school and ask him/her to contact Michael Schirle to add to the list.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (530) 752-1028