Position: Operations Manager
Payroll Title: Research Administration 3
Under the general direction of the Director of the UC Davis Center for Integrated Computing and STEM Education (C-STEM), play a leadership role in the plan, design, and operation of the business and finance of the C-STEM Center. Provide extramural planning and budgetary analysis; serve as a compliance officer for research and education contract and grant activities. Independently gather, analyze and apply financial data and University financial management mechanisms to ensure comprehensive and accurate budget construction, forecasting and financial reporting. Understand new proposals, budget metrics; analyze programmatic needs, and make recommendations. In addition, work closely with funding agencies, collaborators, UCD SPO, Business Contracts, and Extramural accounting to ensure compliance, timely submission and execution of proposals, agreements/ subcontracts, subscriptions, and reports. Take a lead role in planning and organizing annual C-STEM Day with RoboPlay Competition in different regions, annual C-STEM conferences, GIRL camps, and various professional development events.
The UC Davis Center for Integrated Computing and STEM Education (C-STEM) is housed in the UC Davis College of Engineering. C-STEM is a UC Approved Educational Preparation Program for Undergraduate Admission to all UC campuses. C-STEM has UC A-G Program Status with A-G approved rigorous courses for UC/CSU admission. The C-STEM Center aims to improve computing, science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (C-STEM) education in both formal and informal programs in K-14 through integrated learning. The goal of the C-STEM Center is to provide computing education for all K-12 students and develop students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills through integrated mathematics education. The C-STEM Center works with several hundreds of K-12 schools with annual subscriptions with over 10,000 students in US and other countries using C-STEM Math-ICT curriculum in their formal classroom teaching and learning. The annual C-STEM Day with RoboPlay Challenge Competition by the end of May each year is a culminating event for the C-STEM program. In 2016, more than 130 teams participated in the RoboPlay Challenge Competition at UC Davis and Orange County, CA organized by the C-STEM Center staff and over 150 industrial and student volunteers. The C-STEM Center provides various professional developments for K-14 teachers on integrated computing and STEM education in various regions by C-STEM staff or through the C-STEM Train-the-Trainer Affiliate Program. The C-STEM Center also organizes the Girls in Robotics Leadership (GIRL) camps in the summer in different regions nationwide through the C-STEM GIRL Affiliate Program. The GIRL camps are focused on motivating girls in middle school through peer mentoring to learn STEM concepts through a fun and exciting robotics-based C-STEM GIRL Camp curriculum. The Center, under the directorship of Professor Harry Cheng, has several staff, graduate and undergraduate students and collaborates working closely with numerous education, technology and industrial partners and volunteers.
Sit at computer for extended periods of time.
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
Background check required.
- Experience with federal and private compliance regulations governing grant budgeting, financial reporting, costsharing standards, cost allocation, and policies regarding use of grant funds.
- Experience in financial analysis, forecasting and strategic planning to analyze and compile financial data and reports.
- Experience controlling complex budgets, accounting and personnel functions including detailed budget preparation, contract and grant budget proposals, purchasing, payroll, ledger reconciliation, and fiscal close.
- Experience recognizing and responding to problems with cost recovery, invoices, accounts management, subscriptions and payroll/employment.
- Experience with budget preparation based on narrative methodological research plans and designs, analysis, and forecasting.
- Analytical skills to assume responsibility for coordination and completion of complex projects requiring interactions with many internal parties in a large organizational structure.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, presenting concise and clear information to diverse internal/external stakeholders; including reports, written communications, and presentations to key audiences.
- Experience writing and proofreading skills to independently compose clear, grammatically accurate documents and emails.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills to analyze complex data and develop meaningful solutions to specific problems.
- Excellent professionalism, initiative, teamwork and interpersonal skills to clearly and effectively provide customer service to a diverse clientele, and interact with individuals at all levels of the University and its academic and industrial partners.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to work with changing priorities and demanding workload and to use independent judgement to make logical decisions.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and FileMaker Pro, and website applications.
- Experience using automated financial and payroll/personnel systems.
- Knowledge of cost allocation methods.
- Strong computer skills to manage high-volume electronic communication, to prepare reports and spreadsheets, and to create presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in STEM related fields or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Kuali Financial System, FIS Decision Support, On-Line Purchasing System (OPS), Aggie Service, Aggie Travel, Aggie Buy or equivalent systems, Effort Reporting System, Cost-Sharing System, Time Reporting System.
- Experience in program development and management in the areas of instruction, training outreach and marketing especially in grant-funded programs in the STEM areas.
Please apply for this position through the UC Davis HR employment application website. Refer to job requisition #03020056