C-STEM Girls in Robotics Leadership (GIRL) Camps
All GIRL Camps are funded by various sponsors and attendance is FREE for camp participants. In addition, camp participants are eligible for the Girl’s Leadership Award
|The C-STEM GIRL Camps are focused on
ABC’s coverage of the camp
The curriculum is focused on:
- Principles of Engineering
- Programming in C
- Film Production
- Women in IT
At the end of the camp, students create a multimedia presentation of their creation, similar to the RoboPlay Video Competition, and present it to parents and peers.
A camper working on her group’s robot video project
In addition, students learn important life skills including:
- Presentation skills
- Leadership skills
- Building confidence
- Breaking gender stereotypes
Each camp will have 20 middle school girls entering 7th or 8th grade in the coming Fall, who
- have a strong academic record
- exhibit strong leadership skills
- have had exposure to computing or robotics or have a strong interest
- can pick up new material quickly
Camp Assistant Coaches
Each camp will have two high school girls (including graduating seniors) to serve as Assistant Coach. The Assistant Coach positions are not paid.
Each camp has two Coaches. Each Coach will be compensated with $500 for the week. They should:
- be in college
- have experience with robotics and programming
- work well with young girls
- be willing to attend training sessions during the summer
Each camp has a female teacher to serve as a mentor and coordinator. She will be paid at the district standard rate for the week.
Interested in hosting a GIRL Camp for girls in your area?
If you are interested in hosting a GIRL Camp, please check out C-STEM GIRL Camp Affiliate Program.
Funding is available for NCWIT AspireIT applicants to host C-STEM GIRL camps. If you are AspireIT applicants, you can borrow robotics equipment from the C-STEM Center for hosting your GIRL camp.
A GIRL Camp success story
Testimonials from previous camp attendees
- -“I probably would have never known how to program computer[s] without this program and now I’m more confident about programming computers.”
- -“Before this program, I didn’t know anything about robotics. Now, I feel confident about programming. I would like to learn more.”
- -“I feel that I am a bit more computer smart.”
- -“The C-STEM robotics camp increased my confidence.”
- -“If I hadn’t have taken this program I would never be interested in computer science.”
- -“I wanted to be a math teacher but after this program I want to be a computer scientist.”
- -“Before this program, I wanted to be in the field of genetics, now, I want to get into technology.”
- -“I thought I wanted to be an engineer that builds bridges and buildings, now I am interested in computer science.”
- -“…wanted to be something else when I grew up, but now I want to work with programming.”
For More information on GIRL Camp, Click on the link below to download a submitted conference paper about the C-STEM GIRL camp:
The GIRL camp is funded by the NSF, NCWIT, UC Davis College of Engineering, and UC Davis University Outreach and International Programs.