on Integrated Computing and STEM Education with Raspberry Pi and Arduino
Click below to view the list of upcoming C-STEM 2-Day Workshops
This C-STEM 2-Day Workshop will provide K-14 teachers with hands-on experience on how to use freely available C-STEM Studio and RoboBlockly, as well as C-STEM Math-ICT curriculum with interactive coding, making, and robotics that aligns with the Common Core Math and ICT Sector standards to develop students’ 21st century problem-solving skills and better prepare students for college and careers. Teachers will also learn physical computing using general purpose input/output (GPIO) pins with Raspberry Pi (for as low as $5) and Arduino, control of Linkbot and NXT/EV3 robots through Pi, and how to bring physical computing and free C-STEM resources into their classroom teaching of STEM, computer science, making, and robotics courses. Whether or not you have previous coding and robotics experience, you will enjoy the workshop enormously.
The workshop will prepare K-14 teachers to bring “C-STEM Physical Computing with Pi and Arduino” curriculum and a suite of free resources into their classroom teaching. Attendees will learn:
- Providing computing education utilizing user-friendly RoboBlockly, industrial standard computer programming in C/C++ interpreter Ch, and innovative Barobo Linkbot or popular Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3
- Implementing new teaching strategies and opportunities for personalized and collaborative learning through hands-on activities
- Adopting Common Core State Standards Math compliant curricula with computing (and robotics)
- Maker-friendly technology
- A range of ideas for interfacing various hardware and software in the classroom using Windows, Mac, and Chromebooks.
- C-STEMbian, a free open source Linux operating system based on Raspbian for Raspberry Pi
- C-STEM Studio, a platform for hands-on integrated learning of computing and STEM subjects with robotics; Control Linkbot and/or Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 robots through RoboBlockly in Raspberry Pi.
- Using GPIO pins on Raspberry Pi and Arduino for sensory based control of Linkbots and/or Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3.
- Building circuitry using a breadboard for Raspberry Pi and Arduino.
- The GPIOviewer for tinkering with the 40 General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) pins on Raspberry Pi
- The Ch WiringPi Package for programming Raspberry Pi in C API to interface with its 40 GPIO pins
- The ChDuino for tinkering with the general purpose input/output pins on Arduino board.
- Using physical computing to interface electronic components like LEDs, buttons, and photo-resistors
- Integrated learning of Pi and Arduino for problem solving with the same wiring C functions such as pinMode(), digitalRead(), and digitalWrite(). Learn the similarities and differences of Pi and Arduino.
- Integrating Arduino technology with Raspberry Pi.
- Working to close the achievement gap and preparing students to be college and career ready
- Programming existing Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 using RoboBlockly, Ch Mindstorms Controller, and C/C++ interpreter Ch for more effective teaching and learning robotics, computing, science, technology, engineering, and math.
Cost: $300/teacher, includes a take-home C-STEM Starter Kit with Raspberry Pi and Arduino from Vilros. The retail price of the kit is $84.99 plus tax. Space is limited for each session, register soon to claim your space.
- No refunds after instruction begins. Any cancellations must be received in writing one week prior to the start of instruction.
- Registration covers instruction, teaching materials, and lunch. Other meals, transportation, and lodging are not included.
- Participants will also receive pdf files of two textbooks “Learning Physical Computing with Raspberry Pi for the Absolute Beginner” and “Learning Physical Computing with Arduino for the Absolute Beginner” for their classroom teaching.
- A Laptop running Windows XP or higher or Mac OS 10.7 or higher is necessary during the training. Please bring a laptop with you for participation in the workshop. Therefore, you can bring home all free teaching resources. You must have administrative privileges on the laptop to install software.
- C-STEM Starter Kit with Raspberry Pi and Arduino, Linkbot and/or Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 robots will be provided during the training.
- Attendees will receive a certificate of recognition as a C-STEM Certified Educator.
- C-STEM partner schools using C-STEM Physical Computing with Pi and Arduino curriculum can purchase the low-cost C-STEM Starter Kit and C-STEM Sensor Kit, as well as other hardware and sensors from Vilros, with 15% discount.
- Optional Continuing Education Unit quarter credits from UC Davis Extension are available for professional development conducted at UC Davis.
- Certificate of Professional Development Credit hours upon training completion.
If you cannot travel to the sites where this workshop will be hold, but are interested in attending or helping organize this workshop in a city near you, please click HERE to let us know. If there are strong interests in a city near you, we will look into the possibility to offer one.
Interested in hosting a C-STEM professional development in your area?
If your county office of education, school district, and organization would like to host a C-STEM professional development for STEM teachers in your region, please contact us.