Integrating Computing and Robotics into Mathematics, Science & CTE to Close the Achievement Gap & Preparing Students for Career and College
Free introductory workshops, sponsored by the California Department of Education
- Integrating Computing & Robotics into Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Integrated Math I & Career Technical Education
- Developing students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Providing computing education utilizing computer programming in C/C++ interpreter Ch and the Barobo Linkbot
- Implementing new teaching strategies and opportunities for personalized and collaborative learning through hands-on activities
- Adopting common core compliant curricula using computer programming
- Work to close the achievement gap and prepare students to be career and college ready
- two supplementary textbooks (per pair of teachers)
- teaching materials
- one software license per teacher
- one modular robot Linkbot (per pair of teachers)
- UC Davis C-STEM Center support for implementation of the program during the academic year
- Each participant must be able to bring their own Windows laptop with XP or higher.
- Implementation at school sites requires access to a Windows computer lab at least 2-3 times per week.
- For critical mass, 2 teachers from the same school are required to apply. No singleton applications from a site will be accepted.
- Teachers must be in math, science and CTE subjects in grades 5-12.
Optional $100 for 1 Continuing Education Unit quarter credit from UC Davis Extension. Credit request forms available first day of class.
Cost: There is no application fee, as all expenses are covered by grants from the California Department of Education and National Science Foundation. However, attendance is limited to 40 participants per workshop.
Follow-up Professional Development: To learn more about integrated computing and STEM education using the C-STEM curriculum, you may participate in the C-STEM Summer Institute on Integrated Computing and STEM Education or on-site professional development.
San Diego County Office of Education
Thursday, February 26, 2015
Santa Clara County Office of Education
Tuesday, March 31st, 2015
Los Angeles County Office of Education
Friday, April 3, 2015