Free 1-Day Workshop on Raspberry Pi
Click below to view the list of upcoming free 1-Day Workshop on Raspberry Pi
The free C-STEM 1-Day Workshop on Raspberry Pi will provide K-14 teachers with hands-on experience on how to use the freely available C-STEMbian with C-STEM Studio and RoboBlockly, as well as C-STEM integrated curriculum with interactive computing, programming, and robotics that aligns with the Common Core Math and ICT Sector standards to develop students’ 21st century problem-solving skills and better prepare students for college and careers. This 1-Day workshop will give the participants the skills and knowledge necessary to get creative with computing, no matter their experience level. The 1-Day Workshop on Raspberry Pi will introduce teachers to:
- Maker-friendly technology
- A range of ideas for interfacing hardware and software in the classroom
- C-STEMbian – a free open source Linux operating system based on Raspbian for Raspberry Pi
- Integrating Arduino technology with Raspberry Pi
- The GPIOviewer for tinkering with the 40 General-Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) pins on Raspberry Pi
- The Ch WiringPi Package for programming Raspberry Pi to interface with its 40 GPIO pins
- The Web-Based Computing in Raspberry Pi for web-based data acquisition and visualization.
- Using physical computing to control electronic components like LEDs and buttons
- Integrating computing and robotics into math with Common Core State Standards — Mathematics.
- Integrating computer programming with computational thinking, engineering, and robotics into science education with Next Generation Science Standards
- Offering computer programming and/or robotics courses in your school
- Offering computer programming and/or robotics in afterschool or summer programs in your school, district, or county
- Providing computing education utilizing user-friendly RoboBlockly, industrial standard computer programming in C/C++ interpreter Ch, and innovative Barobo Linkbot or popular Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 using Raspberry Pi
- Implementing new teaching strategies and opportunities for personalized and collaborative learning through hands-on activities
- Developing students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Working to close the achievement gap and preparing students to be college and career ready
- Working with gifted students to challenge them to solve real-world problems
- Working with at-risk students to engage them hands-on learning and excited to come to school every day
- Programming existing Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3 using RoboBlockly, Ch Robot Controller, and C/C++ interpreter Ch for more effective teaching and learning robotics, computing, science, technology, engineering, and math.
Pending on the demand, more sessions in different locations will be offered.
Dates: April 29, 2017; May 6, 2017
Locations: UC Davis, Bainer Hall, Room 2121A, Davis CA; San Diego Mesa College, San Diego, CA
Click here to register for the 1-Day Workshop on Raspberry Pi. Due to limited availability, we may be forced to turn away many excellent educators. If you are not selected, we hope that you will apply again in the future.
Registration deadlines – Davis – April 14, 2017. San Diego – April 28, 2017. We will notify you shortly after the registration deadline.
- Raspberry Pi, Linkbot robots, and all accessories will be provided during the training.
- You may bring a Laptop running Windows XP or higher or Mac OS 10.7 or higher. You must have administrative privileges on the laptop to install the latest software for the C-STEM program, which can be downloaded from our Downloads page.
Interested in hosting a C-STEM professional development in your area?
If your county office of education, school district, and organization would like to host a C-STEM professional development for STEM teachers in your region, please contact us.
C-STEM Certified Trainers