C-STEM Robotics Camps for Accelerated Math Learning (Application)
C-STEM Robotics Camps for Accelerated Math Learning are jointly developed with our K-12 partners to address learning loss due to the pandemic. The C-STEM Robotics Camps are specifically designed to focus on the cognitive and social emotional aspects of learning, alleviate some of the distress caused by the pandemic, and bring joy and fun back to learning. They empower K-12 students for accelerated and deeper math learning through robotics projects and the solution of real-world problems using math concepts, and at the same time provide students with recreational and teamwork opportunities with peer-mentoring. Each C-STEM Robotics Camp is focused on learning key math concepts in the related grade levels through collaborative robotics projects (multiple students use different devices to control the same robotic system they create on their own to accomplish a task) and RoboPlay challenges. The C-STEM Robotics Camp curricula engage students in hands-on learning of math, seamlessly integrated with coding, engineering, science, art, and music via robotics. The campers will also learn teamwork, communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
The following camps in four grade bands are designed to be hosted by our K-12 partners with instructors of their staff or local college students for their students, either as summer camps or afterschool program for expanded learning during the academic year:
- Robotics Camp A (Grades TK-K): C-STEM Robotics Camp for Accelerated Math Learning — Preschool-Kindergarten
- Robotics Camp B (Grades 1-2): C-STEM Robotics Camp for Accelerated Math Learning — Early Elementary
- Robotics Camp C (Grades 3-5): C-STEM Robotics Camp for Accelerated Math Learning — Upper Elementary
- Robotics Camp D (Grades 6-8): C-STEM Robotics Camp for Accelerated Math Learning — Middle School
- Robotics Camp E (Grades 9-12): C-STEM Robotics Camp for Accelerated Math Learning — High School
The C-STEM Robotics Camps aim to:
- Accelerate deeper learning in math
- Instill in students’ confidence to learn math and pursue a STEM major in college
- Nurture students’ creativity and imagination by creating and programming their own robotic systems
- Enhance students’ teamwork and communication skills through collaborative robotics projects
- Gain presentation and leadership skills with group presentations at the end of the camp (for grades 6-8 and 9-12)
- Build talent pipeline and inspire the next generation of professionals and leaders in STEM fields with Assistant Coaches for peer-mentoring
- Prepare students to participate in math-focused level-playing field RoboPlay Competition organized by C-STEM Center or local school districts as shown below.
Additional information about the C-STEM Robotics Camps are as follows:
- Campers: TK-K, 1-2nd, 3-5th, 6-8th, and 9-12th graders in 2020-2021 academic year
- Number of Campers: Up to 30 students for each camp
- Curricula: Four 40-hour curricula for students in grades TK-K, 1-2, 3-5, 6-7, and 9-12
- Duration: 1-week (8 hours per day), 2-week (4 hours per day), 4-week (2 hours per week), or 8-week (1 hour per day) at the discretion of camp organizers such as schools and districts
- Time and Locations: Decided by camp organizers
- Instructors for Camps: K-12 teachers within the district and county, and/or college students at local colleges and universities.
- Training for Instructors: The C-STEM Center will provide two 4-hour or four 2-hour professional development sessions to prepare instructors to conduct the camp at per-scheduled time or instructors can attend the regularly scheduled C-STEM PD sessions. If there is a large cohort of instructors from the same school district, a tailored PD can be arranged. No prior coding and robotics experience is needed.
- Assistant Coaches: Middle and high school students. Each camp is encouraged to have two assistant coaches with prior C-STEM program experience for peer-mentoring.
If you have any questions or would like to host C-STEM Robotics Camps for students in your school, district, or county, please contact us.