C-STEMbian is a free open source Linux operating system based on Raspbian for Raspberry Pi. It extends Raspbian with easy installation of many additional components, including C-STEM Studio and user-friendly C/C++ interpreter Ch, to help absolute beginners learn coding, making, robotics, and STEM.
C-STEMbian is an ideal solution for coding, do it yourself (DIY) and making, Internet of Things (IoT) applications, and Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) using Raspberry Pi and Arduino boards.
C-STEM Studio can be used to control Barobo Linkbots and Lego Mindstorms NXT/EV3.
GPIOviewer in C-STEM Studio allows students easily get started tinkering with electronics using general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pins on Raspberry Pi.
C/C++ is the programming language of choice for interfacing hardware and electronics. The scripting and plotting capabilities in C/C++ interpreter Ch allow for rapid software development using Ch WiringPi Package with visualization. The step-by-step debugging feature in the user friendly ChIDE helps students learn problem solving with critical thinking and reasoning.
Web-based computing in Raspberry Pi can be used for web-based data acquisition and visualization.
C-STEMbian runs in Raspberry Pi and Pi compatible computers, including Pi 1, 2, 3, Pi Zero, and Pi Zero W. Raspberry Pi computers are ultra-low-cost, fully functional computers that sell for as little as $5 dollars. They are developed by the UK-based Raspberry Pi Foundation, with the goal of putting “digital making into the hands of people all over the world.” C-STEM Studio for Raspberry Pi makes building your own digital and hardware systems easy and fun.
A Raspberry Pi microcomputer can run stand alone, connected with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. However, C-STEM Studio on Raspberry Pi can also be accessed through Windows, Mac, or Chromebook computers using existing peripheral devices through Virtual Network Computing.
C-STEMbian is a superset of Raspbian with the following major components for research and education in STEM fields.
- Raspbian, the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s official supported operating system.
- Ch Professional Edition for script computing in C/C++ with high-level extensions, including ChIDE, simple numerical computing, plotting, QuickAnimation, etc.
- C-STEM Studio for hands-on integrated learning of computing, science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (C-STEM) using Linkbot, Lego Mindstorms NXT and EV3, Arduino boards, and Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W.
- Raspberry Pi GPIO Viewer for easy interface with general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pins on Rasperry Pi
- Ch WiringPi Package for using WiringPi related C libraries for interfacing GPIO and other devices.
- Ch Common Gateway Interface for processing fill-out forms in Web development and Web-based computing.
- Linkbot Labs for control Barobo Linkbots.
- Using Ch Mechanism Toolkit for Web-Based Mechanism Design and Analysis for design and analysis of many different mechanisms such as fourbar linkage, crank-slider mechanism, sixbar linkages, cam-follower system, etc.
- Ch Control System Toolkit and Web-Based Control System Design and Analysis for modeling, design, and analysis of continuous-time or discrete-time linear time invariant (LTI) control systems.
- Apache Web Server for web development and Web-based computing (The user needs to start the server)
- Embedded Ch for embedded scripting and IoT.
- Mobile C for mobile agent-based computing and applications for IoT and Cyber-Physical Systems.
- (More packages will be added. Practically all C libraries can be ported to work in Ch using Ch SDK. We can help you port your favorite C libraries to run in C-STEMbian)
C-STEMbian can be downloaded from our Downloads page.